Monday, September 8, 2014

10 Salads that will make you say OH MY GULAY!



My husband swore off vegetables since his grandmother forced fed him with it growing up--- but these 10 (or at least 8 of the 10 ) made him forget he is a carnivore.   Yes it's that good.  Surprisingly too, these salads are quite filling it can be your main course as well.

I have not decided which one is my favorite since I love them all equally ---like a mom to her kids. So indulge me as I introduce to you the 10 BEST SALADS that will make you say OH MY GULAY!



1.   CYMA's Roka Salata :

Photo from Wiji Lacasamana's Flicker
Ingredients :   Romaine Lettuce, Arugula, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Shaved Cheese and Candied Walnuts drizzled with  Greek Vinaigrette

Price:  P330.00 / P495.00 to share

Locations I go to:  Shangri-la and Greenbelt

Verdict:  This salad will make you shout OPAH!  It's not Cyma's best seller for no reason!




2.  CPK's Bbq Chicken Chopped





Ingredients :   Chopped chicken (obviously) , CPK's signature BBQ sauce, scallions, cilantro, homemade herb ranch, tomatoes and that crunchy mystery ingredient.  (Sometimes with corn, cabbage and avocado)

Price:  P395 for half and P595 for full

Locations I go to:  Shangri-la, Rockwell, Bonifacio High Street, Glorietta

Verdict:  This salad will make you forget you are eating veggies.  It tastes more like BBQ specially with the extra sauce and dressing you can request from your friendly waiters.

This is so good it has been our traditional "monthsary"date staple. And now that we are married with kids we make sure Sasha (who now tags along with us together with Sky) gets to eat a lot of it too.


The salad is always the star of the show
3.  Italliani's Sicilian Chicken


Ingredients :   Romainne Lettuce, Chicken, Grapes, Mangoes, Tomatoes, Cruttons, Pine Nuts, Lemon Di-jon dressing

Price:  P425 for Lunch and P650 for Regular

Locations I go to:  Greenbelt, Glorietta, ATC

Verdict:  My in-laws LOVE Itallianis.  They will often order 6 (yes 6) of this salad when we go out with family and this is always the first to say hello to my tummy.

My family on the other hand has mastered the art of copying this particular salad.  We get our dressing from Santis :)  And as they say, imitation is always a form of flattery.


4.  Green Pasture's Salad of the Month 


Ingredients :   Our January salad had Romaine Lettuce, Arugula, Kale, Cheese, Strawberries, Honey Mustard Vinaigrette

Price:  P550 for one full wooden bowl which 2-3 can share

Location:  Shangri-la

Verdict:  I'm not very patient with lines.  Actually I'm not very patient --period.  So to have me line up for this on a day my husband said he will treat me to any restaurant I wanted for  our anniversary speaks tons about the food they serve.

Unfortunately the salad I got is a monthly specialty which is no longer available.  Do try their farmhouse or their autumn sunrise salads tho.  Both are best sellers as well.


5.  TGIF's Shanghai Chicken Salad



Ingredients :   Chilled fire - grilled citrus chicken breast served over Romaine Lettuce, tossed with Cilantro Lime Dressing, Mandarin Oranges and Diced Tomatoes

Price:  P455

Locations I go to:  Robinsons Galleria, BGC, Glorietta

Verdict:  I can order this anytime over that big, fat juicy burger or Jack Daniels Steak TGIF is known for.

Another staple when my family or friends go to Friday's, this salad is something you should try on your next visit.

I tried copying it but just could not find the right zest I get from the original Friday's offer.


6. 101 Revolving Restaurant's Seared Tuna Salad


Photo Coutesy of my friend Chel and her magic camera



Ingredients :   Seared Tuna over Lettuce, Roasted Garlic, Peanuts, Sesame Seeds, Pistachio and Wasabi Vinaigrette Dressing

Price:  P395.00

Location:  33/F  MDC 100 Building, C-5 cor Eastwood Drive, Libis Quezon City

Verdict:  This is the only salad in the list I have not tried and boy do I regret it.  When I saw it served to my foodie friend and how she raved bite after bite I knew it will be something added to my "have to try" list.

Chef Jessie has always been known for her salads.  If this is something like her Foie Gras salad (which by the way is also available at P995.00 ---then it's worth a spot on my list)

There's nothing better than good food than good food served with good friends.
Here is a picture of us at 100 Revolving Restaurant which I will feature soon as well.



7.  Verbena's Herb-Marinated Mushrooms and Organic Arugula

This photo just does not do this salad justice.
But yes, the serving was too little compared
to the other salads in my list.


Ingredients :  Honey Garlic Vinaigrette, Fresh Parmesan Shavings,  Organic Arugula and Mushrooms

Price:  P395.00

Location:  Discovery Country Suites Tagatay

Verdict:  We just had to shake the hand of the Chef when we left their restaurant.  Everything was so good---from the salad, appetizer, main course, dessert to their John Lloyd look alike Resident Manager!

libre, libre, libre ....


This salad will keep you wondering what else they put aside from the ingredients listed because it was just so delish.
Verbena will soon come out with a new menu and Jonah's (the pogi Resident Manager) swears that it is bigger and better!
We all know everything about Verbena is good ---so this idea is exciting me to the bones.
I hope tho they kept my favorites including this heaven of a salad in a plate.



8.   Burgoo's Shrimp Pop Corn Salad

Photo from my kumare's blog: Ericjaz Foodies

Ingredients :   Crisp lettuce, Caesar Dressing, served with Crunchy Croutons and Shrimp Popcorn

Price:  P325.00 Regular / P425.00 to share

Locations I go to:  Rockwell and Podium

Verdict:  Let this picture be my verdict:

Thank you Mare for always capturing me in my most awkward moment :)


9.  Gino's House Salad with Burrata

Photo from Hear2heart's blog

Ingredients :   Burrata, Mixed Green in Balsamic Dressing

Price:  P375.00

Location I go to:  Tordesillas, Salcedo Makati ( Gino's main branch is in Katipunan)

Verdict:  I was in Gino's with my family trying their pizza and salted egg pasta when in came Miguel Zubiri with his family.  He took a seat beside us and ordered 3 of this salad.  He then told his wife (and another girl who looks like their mother), I was just here yesterday and ate the same thing.  You just have to try it.

After they made their order I called the waiter and ordered the same.  I mean, the greens will be greens but how can you go wrong with Burrata.  Its soft, creamy and its cheese!




10. Chef Jessie's  Foie Gras Salad
Photo from Pinoyfoodie's Blog

Ingredients :   Greens with Foie Gras --Need I say more? :)

Price:  P995.00 in 100 Revolving Restaurant

Locations I go to:   I used to go to Le Souffle's The Fort and Wynsum branches in Ortigas.  Now I have yet to try it again.  This salad is now  available in Chef Jessie's restaurant in Rockwell Club and in 100 Revolving Restaurant.

Verdict:  I remember how I would often request my dates for dinner in Le souffle for this salad when I was single.  My love for foie gras started with this particular dish.

I know there are a lot of new restaurants that have opened and carried their own versions of this salad but you will never really forget your first love.

---o---


Special Mention to Bohol Bee Farm's Floral Salad and the eat all you can salad from Sonia's.
I will always have a special place in my tummy for these two anytime.

So there. Makiuso. Maki Healthy. Maki-salad.  At kakain ka na lang ng gulay sarapan mo na!



Note: Had to 

4 comments:

  1. Try out Linguini Fini Italian Hanger Steak Cobb Salad and you will forget most of the salads you named here...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the sound of it makes me hungry!!!! Why do I get the picture of a big chunk of meat with little veggies on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uy, na-feature ung name ko and my magic camera, haha! my favorite, Green pastures salad and Roca Salad. Another of my favorite that's not here is Uncle Cheffy's Shrimp with walnut and pomelo salad. Great blog Gail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course more features of our bp group will come soon!!! Awww thanks Chelly for dropping by ;)

      Delete